Monday, January 11, 2010

Junkyard Quote 5, Week 1

Antigone:
Go on, make excuses. I am on my way.
I’ll heap the earth upon my dearest brother’s grave. (80-81)
An activist for equal posthumous rights.

2nd play I’ve read w/a Greek Chorus. I hate them.

I wonder if Sophocles was goth? He gave the heroine to Hades and the villain to Zeus. Or was Creon the villain that long ago?


Creon:
I believe that if anyone tries to run a city
On the basis of bad policies and holds his tongue
Because he’s afraid to say what is right
That man is terrible. (178-181)
sounds like a sales pitch

Creon:
It’s totally unacceptable, what you said about the gods—
That they could have a caring though for this man’s corpse. (282-283)
Creon is a bible-thumper!

Watchman:
We’ll find him. You’d better believe it.
But if we don’t—you know, if he gets lucky—
No way you’ll ever see me coming back to you. (327-329)
Dude, you’re going to kill me! I’m not coming back to tell you I can’t find the guy.

Creon:
Now you. Hiding in my house like a snake,
A coiled bloodsucker in the dark! (531-532)
Serpants used w/females. . .Eve?

Creon:
And there must be no surrender to a woman.
No! If we fall, better a man should take us down.
Never say that a woman bested us! (678-680)
Misogynistic Bastard!

Haemon:
You have no respect at all if you trample on the rights of gods! (745)
f*cking w/Hades’ job

Creon:
What, after this, could be worse? (1281)
Should never ask that


These are quotes from Sophocles’ Antigone and the notes that were written in the margins of the text which I bought used—the notes are in italics. I pulled some of the more interesting ones, such as the reader’s insistence to bring Christianity into the text and writing superfluous comments that hold no significant meaning. I especially like the fact that she—assuming that the effeminate handwriting did come from a girl—wouldn’t spell out “fucking” in her own notes. What would one do without used books?

No comments:

Post a Comment