Do the Right Thing
by Adrian Matejka
Spike Lee is so small I didn’t even
See him at first, surrounded
by Black Expo goers like a gumdrop
in a fist. When I asked him to sign
my “Free South Africa” t-shirt,
he said, You didn’t buy that at this
booth. Fresh off seeing Do the Right
Thing, I crowed: “What’s that got
to do with your movies?” His fans
laughed, so he edited me like my name
was Pino: Why you care? You
ain’t even black. Someone behind
me said, Damn, Spike. That ain’t
right. But Spike’s shamed scribble
on my t-shirt didn’t change the missed
free throw feeling in my chest.
Fear and Loathing
Hunter Thompson is so decrepit I didn’t even
recognize him at first, surrounded
by cartoon demons like Care Bears
on acid. When I asked him to sign
my Great Gatsby novel,
he said, Fear and Loathing is better.
Fresh off reading Kingdom of Fear,
I yelled: “You wish you old hack.”
His readers surrounded me, so he picked
me up like Dr. Gonzo: Take this he cried,
jamming a pill in my mouth and his knee
in my groin. Someone behind me said,
Damn, Hunter’s still got it.
But Thompson’s resilience
couldn’t change the fact
that he died in the eighties.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is hilarious, Rich.
ReplyDelete