Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Improv, Week 13

Improv 1

“Laundry”
Jillian Weise

I do not need much: someone
to kill the scorpion hiding
under the cabinet, someone

to haul laundry two blocks
over, four across.



I do not need much: someone
to cook me dinner after
I get home from work,

someone to not wear makeup
until I ask, or always when
I need to show her off,

someone to rub my back
and feet, and tell me how wonderful
I am, compliment my beard,

someone to ignore my fish
feet, to enjoy the scent
of my sweat,

someone to make coffee
in the morning while I sleep,
fix breakfast before dawn,

someone to stay at home
with the dog, to clean
and watch television,

someone to keep the fridge
full of sweet tea,
to have dinner ready,

someone to say they love me
without expecting it back,
and make a house a home.


Improv 2

“Us, Like a Bad Mix Tape”
Jillian Weise

Us, like a bad mix tape without
slow songs. You like to hum
Desperado & tell people I look
sexy in the slip you gave me, even
when we’re not banging anymore
nor fighting, when we both know
screams count as cuts and must
be covered by each other’s hands.

At one time, we were our answers.
I like to hum More Than Words when
I’m snowed-in and hungry, when
your apparition stirs from my couch,
undresses, steps in the shower, where
you’re the goldfish & I’m the castle.


I hum Bad Romance while you write
about Bronte, which one I’m not sure.
You sing 3rd Planet while I read
Thompson, writing Mississippi criticism.
Tonight I’ll discuss The Killers at the Pig
while you listen to Waits and write
about the apocalypse. I sing with my sun glasses
that night, and when we lay down to sleep
you quietly sing Trapped in the Closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment